So excited to have finished up my Flower Power quilt!
This one was part of a quilt along over at Sew Fresh Quilts, called the Oblongagonalong. This unique take on a hexagon…a slightly different shape created by accident was fun to play with! It is made with all Y-seams so that was the challenging part…but, I finally got those down pat I think:) Lorna@SewFreshQuilts did a great tutorial for learning how to do those tricky seams HERE.
It finishes at 35″ x 44″ and was made using fabrics from the Cuzco line by Kate Spain for Moda. I added a few yellow and bright blues to fill in where I needed extra. I think they add just the right amount of pop!
I used a meandering or stippling free motion quilting design and can I say it has been awhile! I had a little rust on these skills:) After a bit I started to feel like I was getting back in the groove of things. You can see some of the curves are a little angular and almooooost criss-crossing, that is a supposed no-no with stippling:)
Here are a few areas that started to have some “eyelashes” and you can see my stitches were a little too long. I was moving too fast for my needle speed. This causes the tension to get off…especially noticeable in curves and the bobbin thread comes up too far=eyelashes. I just had to get my hands and the needle speed in sync and go a little slower to get smaller stitches.
It was hard to decide what color thread I wanted to use since there are so many different colors. I went with a magenta color thread for this one, it was a predominant color in the quilt and I had a similar color for the backing fabric…..when in doubt, match the back! This will hide the work a bit if you are worried about your stitching abilities:) I knew I was rusty and it wouldn’t be perfect.
I finished it up with a matching binding using THIS machine binding tutorial….purple would have looked great, but sadly no there was no purple left:( so I used more pink…matching the binding with the backing is helpful for hiding mistakes too!
Keep it Sassy♥