~10 Important quilting tips for the beginning quilter~
1. Don’t over analyze- no quilts are perfect! If it was perfect they could have bought it at the store:)
2. Learn an accurate 1/4″ seam. More accurate piecing, while slower, will make the whole process happier.
3. Learn the right way to use your seam ripper. Break every third or fourth stitch and then the bottom thread will pull out in one tug.
4. Change your needle…a lot! Use a new needle every project.
5. When the machine is acting like it is possessed……re-thread. Re-threading is always your first response.
6. Change or resharpen your rotary cutter blades often.
7. Quality thread. Cheap thread is linty and hard on your machine; it also breaks a lot. (Gutermann -not so expensive favorite)
8. Learn how to clean your machine. (Craftsy has great free video class.)
9. Buy extra fabric when planning a quilt, allowing for mistakes. Not only is it annoying to have to stop your project, on more than one occasion I have not been able to locate the same fabric again!
10. Make sure your fabrics and threads have enough contrast. I have pieced a block that looked like a solid piece of fabric and have quilted a quilt where the stitches were practically invisible, hard work ….down the drain!
Feel free to leave a comment and share some things you learned the hard way:)